Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Autumn Bisque

This is a recipe Mandy Mack made a couple of years ago at Cook's Emporium. I changed it up a bit today since I didn't have some of the spices called for.


1/2 cup diced onion
3 T. minced garlic (I used 3 garlic cloves)
4 c. peeled and cubed Butternut Squash (the smaller the cube, the quicker it cooks)
3 c. chicken stock (enough to cover veggies to cook them)
4 Bay Leaves (I couldn't find them today, so I didn't use)
1 (15 oz.) can Pumpkin Pie Mix
2 c. heavy cream (I used 1 c. 1/2 & 1/2 & 1 c. 1% milk)
Allspice, salt and pepper to taste (I didn't have allspice, so I used Pumpkin Pie Spice)
Garnish: sour cream, cinnamon and nutmeg


Saute onion and garlic in some olive oil over low to medium heat. Add squash to the pot along with the chicken stock. Simmer until squash becomes soft.

Using a hand blender (or in a blender or food processor), puree mixture until smooth.

Add bay leaves, pumpkin pie mix and heavy cream. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and season to taste.

Garnish and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I think you need to dig our your camera and take pictures of these yummy sounding food items.